Mechanical Engineering is one of the major streams in the engineering profession and its principles are involved in the design, development, production and construction of nearly all of the physical devices and systems.
The Mechanical Engineering Department was established in 2009. The Department has intake of 180 students. Lateral intake of 60 is also approved by AICTE, Delhi from Academic year 2012-13. Currently there are four divisions each of Second year, Third year and Final year. Prof. Dr. Badkar D. S. is the Head of Department supported by well qualified & experienced staff.
The Department has well established Machine shop & Workshop, CNC Lab, Fluid Mechanics & Fluid Turbo Machinery Lab, Applied Thermodynamics Lab, Theory of Machine Lab, CAD/CAM/CAE Lab, Manufacturing process Lab, Metallurgy Lab, Heat and Mass Transfer Lab, Internal Combustion Engine Lab, Metrology & Quality Control Lab, Industrial Fluid Power Lab, Energy Engineering Lab, Control Engineering Lab, Mechatronics Lab, Automobile Lab and Refrigeration and Air-conditioning Lab.
Along with the Academic development, various activities are organized to develop soft skills of the students such as Paper Presentation, Industrial Visits and Expert Lectures etc.
The Program Educational Objectives of Mechanical Engineering Programme, within three to five years of graduation are:
To Impart knowledge of mathematics, basic and applied sciences to tackle complex engineering problems.
To encourage students for applying their knowledge and skills for problem identification, formulation, analysis and design/ development of solutions to solve real life engineering problems with orientation to industrial sector.
To prepare the students for necessary professional skills, high ethical standards, effective oral, written communication and team building activities in diverse and multidisciplinary teams.
To prepare students to excel in their field, participate in professional activities and project management; get updated in current industrial trends so as to engage in research and development activities.
To provide sufficient training and guidance to students for improving employability, entrepreneurship skills, industrial competency and motivation for lifelong learning.
Mechanical Engineering graduates will be able to :
1. Engineering knowledge: Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, engineeringfundamentals, and an engineering specialization to the solution of complex engineering problems.
2. Problem analysis: Identify, formulate, review research literature, and analyse complexengineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural sciences, and engineering sciences.
3. Design/development of solutions: Design solutions for complex engineering problemsand design system components or processes that meet the specified needs with appropriate consideration for the public health and safety, and the cultural, societal, and environmental considerations.
4. Conduct investigations of complex problems: Use research-based knowledge andresearch methods including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of the information to provide valid conclusions.
5. Modern tool usage: Create, select, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, andmodern engineering and IT tools including prediction and modelling to complex engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations.
6. Te engineer and society: Apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge toassess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice.
7. Environment and sustainability: Understand the impact of the professional engineeringsolutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable development.
8. Ethics: Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilitiesand norms of the engineering practice.
9. Individual and team work: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member orleader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings.
10. Communication: Communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with theengineering community and with society at large, such as, being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.
11. Project management and finance: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of theengineering and management principles and apply these to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in multidisciplinary environments.
12. Life-long learning: Recognize the need for, and have the preparation and ability toengage in independent and life-long learning in the broadest context of technological change.
The Department of Mechanical Engineering maintains a library to meet the academic and research needs of its students. The library is open for students and faculty on all working days during the college hours. The Computer Science & Engineering Library, at present, has a total collection of 149 titles and 527 volumes which include several Reference books, different textbooks, are available to students and faculty members throughout the academic year. Also it has a provision for keeping the reports of project work done by our students
Students from Mechanical Engineering department have won Maharashtra state engineering design award 1st prize (National award) under ISTE during National convention 2017 held at Meghalaya for the project of new mulching paper laying mechanism.